- Supplier Info
- Why Office Supplies?
- Procurement Process
- The Sourcing Alliance Program
- Getting Started
- Tools & Tips
- Office & School Supplies
- Off-Site Printing
- Facility Resources
- Promotional Supplies
OfficeDepot, Inc. is a leading global provider of integrating office products, solutions, and services for the workplace.
OfficeDepot provides office supplies and paper, print and document services, technology products and solutions, and furniture to businesses, organizations, and consumers. OfficeDepot customers are served by approximately 29,000 associates through OfficeDepot.com, OfficeDepotWorkplace.com, and Reliable.com; more than 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico; and direct sales and catalogs.
OfficeDepot was named one of the 2013 World’s Most Ethical Companies, and is the only company in the office supply industry to receive Ethics Inside® Certification by the Ethisphere Institute.
OfficeDepot is the exclusive Sourcing Alliance provider of office supplies and related products and services. The intention of this program is to achieve favorable pricing, improved contract terms, and enhanced service levels for Sourcing Alliance members.
Cuyahoga Community College (“Tri-C”), Ohio’s largest community college and a long-time Sourcing Alliance Participant, approached Sourcing Alliance regarding the Tri-C’s frustrations with its office supplies vendor at the time. Tri-C wanted to establish a contract that would deliver consistent service levels, improve internal operating processes, and reduce its overall costs for purchasing office supplies. Tri-C also recognized that office supplies are a spending category that all types of public sector entities purchase and believed that there was an opportunity to leverage its spend with that of other Sourcing Alliance participants to establish better service and pricing terms than Tri-C could achieve by itself.
Sourcing Alliance surveyed a wide range of public sector and not-for-profit organizations to develop a clear understanding of what our participants’ office supplies needs were. We identified a series of recurring themes and challenges:
- High costs and inconsistent pricing. Purchasing office supplies often seems like a shell game – you can get great pricing on a small number of products as “loss-leaders,” but somehow your overall costs still continue to rise and promised savings do not materialize.
- Multiple vendors. Many Sourcing Alliance members were constantly price-checking individual purchases and buying from multiple vendors because they were not confident that working with a single vendor would provide the best overall value. This process was time-consuming and resulted in greater administrative costs necessary to secure the best pricing consistently, manage multiple vendors, and process a higher number of invoices.
- Inability to manage the total costs of office supplies. Managing multiple vendors on an ongoing basis made it extremely difficult to develop a clear understanding of and effectively manage a participant’s total cost of office supplies organization-wide.
- Rogue spending. The absence of a comprehensive, proven money-saving office supplies contract led individual buyers within organizations to purchase outside of established contracts, diluting participants’ individual buying power and ensuring that costs were too high.
- Poor service levels. Many office supplies companies “promised the moon” in terms of pricing and service levels, then were unable or unwilling to provide the high quality, consistent service levels that participants required.
- One-size-fits-all solutions. There are numerous group purchasing “solutions” for purchasing office supplies; however, each participant identified unique needs and requirements that could not be satisfactorily met by uniform cookie cutter group purchasing programs that cannot be modified to effectively meet the needs of individual participants.
This collective feedback from dozens of Sourcing Alliance participants convinced Sourcing Alliance to pursue the development of an office supplies program. Our objective was to establish an already procured contract with a single supplier that would resolve each of the issues outlined above while providing individual participants with the ability to leverage the buying power of the entire group to achieve pricing and service levels that individual participants could not achieve by conducting their own individual and isolated procurement processes for office supplies.
We also sought to establish a contract that could meet the needs of participants large and small and be leveraged by public sector, private sector, and not-for-profit entities alike to maximize the total possible buying power through the contract.
For a detailed description of Sourcing Alliance’s procurement process to download or print, click here.
We procured an office supplies contract that meets the needs of Sourcing Alliance members large and small. This contract can be leveraged by public sector, private sector, and not-for-profit entities alike to effectively manage the total cost of office supplies through a competitively-solicited contract that is actively managed by Sourcing Alliance’s highly knowledgeable team.
For a detailed description of Sourcing Alliance’s procurement process to download or print, click here.
The Procurement Process
We engaged a subject-matter expert with deep industry experience to develop the request for proposal (RFP) specifications, interview suppliers, review proposals, and select the final supplier (meeting all specifications required under the Ohio Revised Code for public entities). This individual had been a division leader working with a major national office supply company for fifteen years and was responsible for over $500 million in office supplies revenue annually. He helped us understand the internal pricing and service dynamics of office supply companies.
The RFP process achieved two critical objectives: 1) achieve better pricing and establish higher service levels across Sourcing Alliance’s membership; and, 2) position Sourcing Alliance members as better value, lower-cost-to-serve, desirable customers for office supply companies.
Our subject matter expert was invaluable in developing one of the top office supplies consortia contracts nationwide.
Why Did Sourcing Alliance Select OfficeDepot As Our Supplier Partner?
We selected OfficeDepot because OfficeDepot provides:
- The best pricing, with very aggressive pricing on a core list of approximately 700 items and the flexibility to establish customized local lists for each Sourcing Alliance member with an unlimited number of items to meet the needs of individual program participants.
- The best service levels; demonstrated implementation, management and reporting capabilities; and a commitment to reducing program participants’ total office supplies costs over time.
- A comprehensive program including office supplies, toner, paper, off-site printing, furniture, technology, break room, janitorial supplies, promotional items, and a full line of green and recycled office supplies options to meet members’ sustainability targets.
- A no-cost, up-front assessment to determine the financial and operational savings Sourcing Alliance’s program provides each member.
Sourcing Alliance established a competitively solicited contract with OfficeDepot that is incredibly flexible. All of the elements of a complete office supplies solution are already procured, plus a custom solution for each Sourcing Alliance member can be developed out of the agreement to create an optimized solution without each member conducting a new bid or RFP process.
Sourcing Alliance’s program with OfficeDepot features a unique mix of features and benefits. It’s easy to evaluate and start using the program.
Features & Benefits
- Savings that typically range from 10% to 30% for Sourcing Alliance members.
- Reduced pricing on more than 25,000 in-stock products and 5,000 environmentally preferable products and services.
- Flexible purchasing options—buy online, by phone, or by fax, whatever you prefer.
- Dedicated customer service representatives to assist you.
- Ability to create a customized list of items that is unique to your organization for increased savings.
- Customized pricing analysis to achieve a true apples-to-apples comparison versus your current spend and/or other proposals you receive.
- Employee pricing program that extends your pricing to the employees of your organization.
- Powerful management reporting tools and regular reviews to identify ongoing cost-saving opportunities.
- OMWorkspace—contract furniture, design, project management, artwork, etc.
- Rebate program—1% to 3% of spend based on total combined spend of Sourcing Alliance program participants.
To learn more about this program or request an assessment at no cost to you, call or email Sourcing Alliance today. Contact Sourcing Alliance by telephone at 844.289.6728 or by email at info@SourcingAlliance.org.
For a detailed description of how to get Started with Sourcing Alliance’s Office Supplies program with Office Depot that you can download or print, click here.
How to Secure a No-Cost Pricing Comparison
If you would like to receive a no-cost comparison of Sourcing Alliance’s office supplies program with OfficeDepot to your current purchasing alternatives, simply provide Sourcing Alliance with the following information to receive a customized pricing analysis for your organization:
People love to say that office supplies are an easy spending category to manage, but anyone who has been responsible for establishing an apples-to-apples comparison of office supplies proposals from a variety of vendors knows how challenging and tedious a task that is. Is each supplier providing the same number of units in a package? Do the product numbers properly correspond? Are you comparing brand name or private label products, and are those products the same or subtly different?
To learn more about the challenges in comparing office supplies proposals and how the Sourcing Alliance team can help, click here to download or print a short summary of Sourcing Alliance’s approach.
The team at Sourcing Alliance has conducted countless comparisons of current spends vs. supplier proposals. We will do the grunt work for you, and apply everything we have learned about how to ensure you are truly comparing apples-to-apples. In short, we will:
- Develop a thorough understanding of your current office supplies purchases and costs.
- Create a customized solution for your organization leveraging our buying power and the favorable pricing available through our already-procured contract with OfficeMax.
- Navigate the differences from one manufacturer or supplier to the next so that you know you are looking at an accurate, apples-to-apples comparison
- Compare the recommended solution from Sourcing Alliance and OfficeMax to your current office supplies purchases and other proposals that you have received.
- Provide you with the tools necessary to make an informed decision in the best interest of your organization.
Most importantly, our team will explain the completed comparison to you, identifying the pros and cons of each proposal, summarizing how each proposal compares to the others and to your current purchasing patterns, and provide you with a recommendation to maximize your savings going forward.
Sourcing Alliance will complete the work. Our analysis can be relied upon to provide a true measure of each participant’s potential cost savings from utilizing Sourcing Alliance’s powerful pricing advantage with OfficeMax versus the participant’s current pricing and the pricing available from any other supplier proposals.
All the products your organization needs, in one place.
OfficeDepot offers an extensive range of products and supplies—more than 25,000 office supplies, including national brands and award-winning, private-label brands; more than 5,000 environmentally preferable products are available through OfficeDepot. Items include:
- Copy Paper
- Correction Supplies
- Desktop Organization
- Filing and Folders
- Ink and Toner
- Markers and Highlighters
- Notes and Flags
- Notepads and Dividers
- Office Decor and Lamps
- Office Tape
- Paper (notebooks, pads, post-its, etc.)
- Staplers and Punches
Ink & Toner
OfficeDepot brand re-manufactured ink and toner cartridges are the optimum choice for clean, crisp documents with original equipment manufacturer (OEM) quality and the performance you need at a fraction of the cost of name brands. OfficeDepot lineup includes 275+ different models of cartridges.
OfficeDepot offers a large assortment of paper products to choose from, including multipurpose, laser, Inkjet, colored, recycled and glossy. OfficeDepot supplies more than just high-quality paper products. It provides a level of expertise that makes OfficeDepot the most reliable paper source for our customers. OfficeDepot has a strong partnership with world-class paper manufacturer and distributor Boise®. This partnership has uniquely positioned OfficeMax in the industry to serve your needs. By combining these strengths, we offer you a consistent, low-cost paper products solution.
Bring comfort, style, and functionality to your workspace with the latest furniture ideas and solutions from OfficeDepot. Whether you’re looking for collaborative workspace furniture collections, want to create a cohesive look throughout the office, or simply need a chair, desk, file cabinet, or accessories, OfficeDepot has the quality furniture products that your organization is seeking.
Furnishings for the entire office. Choose affordable, ready-to-ship furniture. 5,000 in-stock items from more than 200 manufacturers. Delivered in 3 to 5 business days. Expert assistance available from our dedicated Furniture Support Team. Items include:
- Assembly and installation services available
- Computer tables
- Filing and storage
- Products meet or exceed ANSI/BIFMA standards
Consider OfficeDepot a valuable member of your IT staff. OfficeDepot can help you in every step of the IT lifecycle—from planning, acquiring, deploying, and funding, to managing and disposing of your technology assets—while maximizing effectiveness and reducing costs. With the help of OfficeDepot, you can do more with fewer resources, allowing you to focus on your business objectives.
OfficeDepot provides basic technology products, services and accessories, software licensing, security, and compliance assistance.
- Asset tagging
- Cloud computing
- Devices management and leasing
- Mobile devices
- Large enterprise servers
- Surge protectors
- Warranty support
A nationwide digital print network offers lower processing, printing, and distribution costs, faster speed to market, and total control over your brand. OfficeDepot’s print network will increase savings and efficiency across your organization.
Items and services include:
- Digital Documentation Services — a full range of advanced digital documentation services, including presentations, manuals, flyers, sell sheets, proposals, brochures, newsletters, posters, oversized printing, and more.
- Web-to-Print Solutions — improve brand consistency, manage digital assets, provide revision and version control, and measure utilization of print materials.
- Supply Chain Management — one dependable source to manage marketing materials from start to finish, putting OfficeDepot’s technology platform, services, and supply chain expertise to work for you.
- Printing Life Cycle Services — from assessment to creation to management to distribution—all business printing needs are met from start to finish.
- SourceNet — advanced, scalable sourcing technology that automatically measures printing specifications to maximize cost efficiency and quality on every project—with fast turnaround, better visibility, and continuous improvement.
OfficeDepot is best known for providing office environments with the supplies, furniture, and services they need to run their businesses. It may surprise you to learn that OfficeDepot also offers specialized product solutions, including facility products and services.
OfficeDepot provides brand name lobby, janitorial, break room, and restroom supplies. Items include:
- Air fresheners
- Beverages and coffee
- Cleaning supplies—disinfectants, detergents, paper products, vacuums, mops, brooms
- Creamers, sweeteners, MV -stirrers
- Waste containers and liners
Full range of customizable promotional products, from apparel to awards and more. Add your logo or event theme to a large variety of items for your next organization function, trade show, or employee recognition event. Items include:
- Bags and coolers
- Business Essentials and Accessories—magnets, clips, frames, flash drives, and more
- Writing instruments