Atrium | One Card Campus ID
- Common Challenges
- The Sourcing Alliance Program
- Why Atrium?
- Procurement Process
- Getting Started
The functionality and capabilities of campus ID cards have evolved dramatically over the past 30 years. In the 1980s and 1990s, campus ID cards were primarily utilized for students and staff to buy meals, borrow books from the library, and prove they were authorized to access certain on-campus facilities and events. Verification of campus ID cards was primarily a manual process and, by today’s standards, campus ID cards were “dumb” cards.
Just as the telephone industry has evolved from rotary dial phones to smart phones, campus ID cards have evolved from “dumb” cards with limited functionality into “smart” cards that can be used in virtually every aspect of campus life.
Today’s campus ID can be both a physical card and/or a credential on your smart phone. The cards can be integrated with a wide range of on-campus systems and activities, from managing and utilizing a meal plan to accessing dorms and facilities, from purchasing event tickets to checking out library books, from monitoring attendance to using laundry facilities and copiers. Card issuance, utilization, and management are all tied together via Information Technology to provide students and staff with a seamless on-campus experience.
Implementing a 21st century campus ID system is an incredibly complex undertaking. A new card system must be able to integrate with a wide range of existing physical (such as point of sale systems, access control hardware, and vending machines) and software (such as student information systems, ERP platforms, and merchant services) infrastructure. Otherwise, the time and money invested in those systems goes to waste and those systems must also be replaced, which is an expensive proposition.
Youngstown State University (YSU) requested Sourcing Alliance’s assistance in developing and conducting a request for proposals (RFP) process to replace YSU’s 20+ year old campus ID management system.
Sourcing Alliance Developed the First Nationally Available One Card Campus ID Program
YSU and Sourcing Alliance partnered to research, develop, and implement the first-in-the-nation already procured One Card Campus ID Program to not only meet the needs of YSU, but also the needs of Sourcing Alliance members nationwide. The program offers an innovative campus card management solution that leverages the most current one card industry technology and balances cost and quality to provide the lowest Total Cost of Ownership for our members. Our requirements included:
- A Comprehensive Campus Card Management Solution – all-inclusive campus card management system that could be easily configured to meet the needs of any Sourcing Alliance member.
- Flexibility & Functionality – an open architecture system with a wide range of existing data integrations (e.g., Banner and other ERP systems, meal plans, housing, off-campus vending, bookstore POS systems, and, mobile credentials, and access control systems).
- Aggressive Pricing – significant discounts on both a campus card management system and any required data integrations.
- An Intuitive User Interface – an easy to use interface for patrons (students, faculty, and staff) and system administrators.
- Quality Customer Service – an in-house customer service center to quickly respond to and resolve member issues when they arise.
- Reliability – a demonstrated history of implementing high-quality campus card management solutions on time and on budget.
Sourcing Alliance and YSU selected Atrium as our supplier partner because of Atrium’s demonstrated expertise in providing best-in-class one card system technology that can be configured to meet the needs of colleges and universities nationwide. Atrium’s proven technology is in use today by over 1.4 million students, faculty, and staff at over 100 of the nation’s leading colleges and universities. Atrium provides:
- An All-encompassing Campus Card Management Solution – a revolutionary campus card management solution, modular and scalable to support the expanding needs of any campus regardless of size.
- Competitive Pricing & Budget Certainty – aggressive discounts, a renewable five-year Fixed Price Guarantee, and one-time-per-connection setup charges allowing Sourcing Alliance members to connect their existing campus systems and add additional systems with no recurring fees or price increases.
- Reduced Administrative Burden – a customizable Dashboard that enables permission-driven administration anytime, anywhere, and eliminates the need for special computer skills and add-on packages for reporting and other tasks.
- A Superior User Experience – a wide variety of on and off campus services effortlessly accessed by students, parents, and family through mobile devices and various forms of campus ID, including the latest smartphone ID technologies.
- An Open & Non-Proprietary System – a secure, hosted cloud system that integrates with more than 130 providers of related software and hardware and eliminates the need for costly, proprietary on-campus IT infrastructure and expensive maintenance contracts. Atrium is also the only campus card management system provider that has already established an integration with Bosch Video Management System.
- A Dedicated Service Team – personalized, fast-response, 24/7/365 live support from a team of seasoned industry professionals that have a working knowledge of each individual member’s system and guaranteed 99.99% uptime.
- Reliability – has never missed a go-live date.
Read the Sourcing Alliance and Atrium Procurement Process.
Why did Youngstown State University partner with Sourcing Alliance to Develop a One Card Campus ID Program?
Youngstown State University (YSU), a Sourcing Alliance member, reached out to Sourcing Alliance’s procurement team to request assistance in administering and managing a request for proposals (RFP) process for a new one card campus ID management system. YSU’s campus ID cards at the time were primarily used for managing the University’s meal plans and did not leverage any of the technological advances that make 21st century IDs so much more than just a plastic card with a name and a picture.
Before responding to YSU’s request, Sourcing Alliance researched the one card industry to determine whether there were any existing piggybackable contracts for a one card system that would meet the needs of YSU. Finding no nationally available contracts, we partnered with YSU to conduct an RFP for a new one card campus ID management system. We saw an opportunity to develop a program that would not only meet the objectives set forth by YSU, but would also serve as the first-in-the-nation already procured one card contract for current and future Sourcing Alliance members. We required our program to provide the following:
- An open architecture system with a wide range of existing data integrations (e.g., Banner and other ERP systems, meal plans, housing, off-campus vending, bookstore POS systems, and access control systems).
- ID cards that leverage the most current one card industry technology, including mobile credentials.
- The ability to purchase and manage meal plans from on-campus dining providers and off-campus merchants.
- Intuitive user interface for administrators and patrons.
- Web-based ID card design and production that supports online photo submission and has batch-production capability.
- A cloud-based delivery model that eliminates the need for on-site hosted servers while still providing maximum data and payment security.
The Procurement Process
YSU assembled a team to work with Sourcing Alliance in developing the RFP specifications, interviewing suppliers, reviewing proposals, and selecting the final contract award winner. The team consisted of representatives from several campus departments including meal plan administration, ID card administration, procurement, IT, parking, housing, and athletics/recreation, who all have a stake in the implementation and operation of a new one card system. In addition, Sourcing Alliance identified and reviewed over fifteen one card solicitations from several different colleges and universities to gain insight into how to create an effective one card campus management solution that could be configured to meet the needs of public sector entities nationwide.
Sourcing Alliance developed initial RFP specifications informed by YSU’s team and our extensive research. We identified and proactively contacted more than two dozen potential suppliers and invited them to participate in the process. We conducted one-on-one interviews to i) inform each supplier of our program objectives, ii) learn about the breadth of each of their offerings and service capabilities, and iii) secure their input into the RFP specifications.
After several months of development, we finalized the program specifications and developed the final RFP package. Sourcing Alliance and YSU jointly published the RFP in accordance with Ohio Revised Code. We proactively forwarded the RFP to each supplier we had identified and interviewed during our initial research. We wanted to secure as much supplier interest and as many competitive proposals as possible in order to establish a program that would provide maximum value for our members.
Our proposal review team opened the proposals we received and scored them on a qualitative basis. Upon meeting our qualitative threshold, the team reviewed the proposals on a quantitative basis and narrowed the field to three finalists including Atrium, TouchNet, and Transact (formerly Blackboard). The team contacted each of the five references provided by the finalists and conducted interviews with senior leadership from each company. Ultimately, we awarded the contract to Atrium as the most responsive and responsible supplier best suited to deliver the needs of both YSU and Sourcing Alliance. Atrium’s final score was substantially higher than the second place finalist.
Why did Sourcing Alliance and Youngstown State University Select Atrium as our Supplier Partner?
Sourcing Alliance and YSU selected Atrium as our supplier partner because of Atrium’s demonstrated expertise in providing best-in-class one card system technology that can be configured to meet the needs of colleges and universities nationwide. Sourcing Alliance and YSU determined that Atrium not only met our carefully crafted RFP requirements, but exceeded them. Atrium:
- Delivers a proven, all-encompassing campus card management solution – offers a revolutionary campus card management solution that is modular and scalable to support the expanding needs of any campus regardless of size.
- Reduces total cost of ownership – offers a renewable five-year Fixed Price Guarantee in addition to one-time-per-connection setup charges, allowing customers to connect their existing campus systems and expand with no recurring fees or price increases.
- Reduces administrative burden – provides a customizable Dashboard that enables permission-driven administration anytime, anywhere, and eliminates the need for special computer skills and add-on packages for reporting and other tasks.
- Provides a superior experience – delivers a wide variety of on and off campus services effortlessly accessed by students, faculty, staff, parents, and family through mobile devices and various forms of campus ID, including the latest smartphone ID technologies.
- Is open and non-proprietary – integrates with more than 130 providers of related software and hardware through a secure, hosted cloud system that eliminates the need for costly, proprietary on-campus IT infrastructure and expensive maintenance contracts. Atrium is also the only campus card management system provider that has already established an integration with Bosch Video Management System.
- Offers personalized, fast-response, 24/7/365 live support at no additional cost – provides each customer with a dedicated service team made up of seasoned industry professionals that have a working knowledge of that individual customer’s system and guarantee a 99.99% uptime.
- Is a proven partner – has never missed a go-live date.
Who were the suppliers that participated in the Sourcing Alliance and YSU RFP Process?
- Capture Technologies
- CBORD & Horizon Software
- Entrust Datacard
- FIS Global
- HID Global
- IdentiSys Inc.
- ITC Systems
- NuVision Networks
- Sequoia Retail Systems Inc.
- TouchNet Information Systems
- Transact (formerly Blackboard)
- Vision Database Solutions