- Common Challenges
- The Sourcing Alliance Program
- Why ComDoc?
- Getting Started
The sourcing and procurement of copiers, printers, software, and related services is complicated. The reality is that most of us go through the procurement and contract management process rarely, maybe once every three to five years. Meanwhile, the industry is constantly evolving, with new equipment capabilities, new service packages, and enhanced software from which to choose. And, let’s be honest, some office equipment suppliers make used car dealers look good by comparison.
Given these challenges, it was not uncommon for our members to:
• Develop RFP specifications designed to simply replace the existing equipment and services, instead of taking advantage of the latest industry advances.
• Struggle to achieve an apples-to-apples comparison of proposals; the devil is in the details, and the details are often extremely difficult to ferret out.
• Award purchase agreements based on Year 1 pricing (which is subject to increase in future years), without fully understanding the total financial exposure over the full contract term.
• Find themselves being taken advantage of by office equipment suppliers through buried and hidden purchase agreement terms
As a result, Sourcing Alliance set out to add a Managed Print Services Program to our portfolio of cooperative contracts.
Sourcing Alliance Developed a Better Alternative for our Members
Our first-in-the-nation Managed Print Services Program (MPS Program) addresses each of the challenges commonly experienced through the sourcing and procurement of copiers and printers. We hired an industry expert to lead the development of our cooperative purchasing agreement, received input from numerous members to fully understand their office equipment difficulties, and interviewed more than a dozen office equipment suppliers to learn about the newest industry capabilities and competitive differentiators.
Sourcing Alliance’s already-procured, competitively solicited cooperative contract for Managed Print Services integrates all costs associated with in-house copying and printing, including hardware, software, installation, management, maintenance, service, and toner. We required the winning office equipment supplier to:
• Perform a complete assessment of each member’s current copier and printer capabilities, develop potential solutions that address both the current (not five-year old) needs of each member and the most current industry capabilities, and provide this consulting at no cost and with no obligation to each member. This assessment must include understanding each member’s culture, usage, existing and desired workflows, current costs, and sustainability objectives.
• Provide a full range of the highest quality equipment, including multi-functional devices, printers, production machines, and certified pre-owned alternatives.
• Offer members the ability to lease, rent, or buy office equipment, or simply pay a flat price per page with no upfront capital expenditures.
• Migrate all copy, print, scan, and fax equipment, software, and services to a single contract with a single bill each month.
• Only charge our members for the pages they print, and not charge a fee for scans.
• Demonstrate a proven record of excellent customer service and responsiveness.
• Adhere to rigorous and clearly defined service level agreements.
• Perform all service with in-house employees, rather than contracting out printer management to third parties as is common in the industry.
• Offer extensive software solutions that further leverage our members’ investment in office equipment to reduce manual processes and/or deliver new capabilities. This requirement included supporting our members’ disaster recovery plans by capturing, managing, sharing, and protecting paper and digital content in one central location.
Why Did Sourcing Alliance Select ComDoc as our Managed Print Services Supplier?
Following our intensive, months-long public sector procurement process, we ultimately awarded our cooperative purchasing agreement for Managed Print Services to ComDoc, a Global/Xerox company, as the most responsive and responsible office equipment supplier.
Sourcing Alliance selected ComDoc for five key reasons. ComDoc:
1. Clearly understood our program objectives and the need to provide a comprehensive solution through a single cooperative purchasing agreement that could be tailored to meet the needs of individual Sourcing Alliance members.
2. Had developed a proven process for conducting up-front assessments to develop optimized solutions for each individual member.
3. Is the industry leader in managed print services and was one of the first office equipment suppliers to recognize that the deployment and utilization of copiers and printers should be systematically integrated, not separated.
4. Offers the highest quality equipment and technology available in the marketplace.
5. Understands the “services” component of managed print services and has a proven track record of delivering high quality, responsive, in-house customer service to its clients.
Our Managed Print Services Program begins with a no cost, no obligation, data-driven 360° Workflow Assessment that i) defines your current print environment and what it costs you, ii) deter-mines what your future print requirements are, and iii) designs and prices the optimal solution for your organization going forward.
To learn more about this program or request a 360° assessment at no cost to you, call or email Sourcing Alliance today at 844.289.6728 or info@SourcingAlliance.org.