Gardiner | HVAC & Building Solutions
- Common Challenges
- The Sourcing Alliance Program
- Why Gardiner?
- Procurement Process
- Getting Started
Buildings are complex systems comprised of HVAC equipment, a wide range of controls, plumbing, lighting, electrical, maybe natural gas. These systems and your ability to effectively manage them are impacted by numerous variables, such as the size and age of the buildings, the age and efficiency of the equipment, weather, how the buildings are utilized, your resources to maintain the equipment you have, and your budget to replace equipment and/or upgrade to newer and better solutions. Sure, if your budget was big enough, you would hire a sizeable team of specialists on your staff and provide them with the right tools to do regular preventive maintenance, repair equipment that breaks, develop and implement a long-term capital improvement plan, modernize your automation and control system, purchase that new boiler, install all new LED lighting, and take steps towards making your building more energy efficient… but the budget just isn’t there.
The reality for many of our members is that, more often than not, you’re stuck reacting, playing a game of catch up just to keep your building systems functional. Something breaks, you fix it or scramble to hire someone else to fix it for you, fast. Something else breaks, you get that fixed as fast as you can. During those “in the moment” repairs, you experience costly downtime and get a lot of unhappy phone calls. But what’s the alternative?
In a perfect world, you’d have a team of HVAC and building management experts visit each of your buildings to assess all your equipment, develop and implement a preventive maintenance plan, and recommend and price out recommendations to improve energy efficiency. They would help you figure out how to afford the transition from a reactive “fire drill” approach to a long-term building management plan that incorporates preventive maintenance and targeted investments to improve energy efficiency. The challenge with this plan is twofold: i) finding an outside firm that you can trust, and ii) figuring out how to pay for them and the implementation of their recommendations. In the interim, you are stuck in an endless game of catch up, unable to ever get fully ahead of the curve.
Sourcing Alliance Developed a Better Alternative for Our Members
Sourcing Alliance decided to develop and implement a HVAC & Building Solutions Program for Sourcing Alliance members to solve these challenges. The program offers customized building solutions that meet a wide range of needs and requirements while also balancing cost and quality to provide the lowest Total Cost of Ownership for our members. We required our supplier to provide:
- A Proven Track Record – a demonstrated history of high-quality service delivery, performance, and customer satisfaction.
- An Initial Equipment Audit – up front comprehensive audit of all existing equipment in order to provide members with a custom building solution designed to fit their specific needs.
- An Aggressive Discounting Structure – significant discounts off of retail price on the products and services that Gardiner offers.
- HVAC Equipment & Supplies – an extensive portfolio of the highest quality HVAC systems, parts, and supplies suitable for virtually all building applications.
- Reliability – a proven process to reduce the risk of costly and unexpected equipment downtime.
- Budget Options – ability to offer funding options for Sourcing Alliance members with budgets of all sizes.
- Effective Quality Control – a proven quality control process that achieves consistent results and quickly resolves customer issues when they arise.
Leverage Sourcing Alliance’s Public Procurement Expertise
A typical bid/RFP process can easily cost you $15,000, drain your resources, and consume months of your time.
Sourcing Alliance invests the time and money to develop detailed specifications and award contracts through a compliant public sector procurement process so that you don’t have to. Sourcing Alliance sought a publicly procured, competitively solicited contract that met our stringent program requirements for HVAC and building solutions.
The City of Hudson (Hudson) conducted an intensive procurement process for HVAC maintenance and awarded the contract to Gardiner. Sourcing Alliance partnered with Hudson to make Hudson’s contract award available to Sourcing Alliance members.
Why did Sourcing Alliance Select Gardiner?
Sourcing Alliance recognized that finding the right supplier who can work with you to develop the right building solution, within your budget, and within your allotted timeframe can be a bit of a challenge. We selected Gardiner because of its demonstrated ability to deliver high quality, cost-effective HVAC and building solution services to our members. With over 55 years of industry experience, Gardiner currently manages over 3,000,000 square feet of building space for over 2,500 clients, and has an exceptional reputation built on effective problem solving, and more importantly, results. Gardiner provides:
- Industry Expertise – 211 associates and over 3,000 combined years of engineering experience solving building challenges. Gardiner’s team are some of the most experienced HVAC associates in the industry and present a demonstrated history of high-quality service delivery, performance, and customer satisfaction. How else do you become the leading professional building services company in Ohio?
- Custom Designed Solutions – intensive discovery process to develop optimized solutions for each individual member based on that member’s current system, financial goals, and strategic objectives. Gardiner’s process begins with a full comprehensive audit of all existing equipment and places a special focus on making sure your building systems have the lowest Total Cost of Ownership over the life of the system.
- Competitive Pricing – aggressive discounting structure exclusively for Sourcing Alliance members on Gardiner’s full line of products and services that is 2.5 – 5.25% lower than the manufacturer’s published national cooperative pricing schedule.
- A Robust Portfolio of Products & Services – a full line of HVAC equipment and supplies, professional services including maintenance and repair, intelligent services, and water treatment, and a host of building solutions such as automation and controls, building analytics, and supply side energy management.
- Reliability – a proven process for reducing downtime due to mechanical error. This process includes access to temporary chillers and generators, refresh and factory recertification programs, factory designed maintenance programs, predictive and diagnostic services, modernization and integration solutions, and 24/7 parts availability.
- Financing Mechanisms – expertise in assisting members with securing financing for their building projects. Gardiner provides a variety of financing tools including government procurement options and shared savings programs.
- Account Management – a strict and detailed process to manage customer accounts, from planning and initial implementation to regular equipment audits to ensure customer satisfaction and regular ongoing communication.
- A Local Presence – a local footprint throughout Ohio with over 200 associates readily available via phone, email, or in person.
Why did Sourcing Alliance Develop an HVAC & Building Solutions Program?
One thing all Sourcing Alliance public sector members have in common is that they manage, maintain, and operate buildings. Most Sourcing Alliance members do not have the financial resources to fully staff and equip an in-house building maintenance team and rely on third-party contractors to perform critical building-related services, such as emergency repair, preventative maintenance, replacement equipment selection and installation, building analytics, building automation, energy and performance contracting, lighting retrofits, and water treatment.
Effectively managing buildings is often complicated by competing forces: aging/outdated equipment, limited capital improvement funds, directives to go Green, insufficient operating dollars to invest in needed preventative maintenance, and fluctuating energy prices.
Sourcing Alliance members frequently struggle with finding the “right” supplier, an equipment-agnostic building solutions service provider who can assess the current state, develop a go-forward building maintenance and improvement plan, secure financing, implement the plan, and provide ongoing emergency response and preventative maintenance, all within allocated budget dollars.
Sourcing Alliance received numerous requests to create an affordable HVAC and building management solution. After careful investigation, Sourcing Alliance decided to develop an HVAC and Building Solutions Program as part of our continued commitment to make it easy for our members to fulfill their missions efficiently and cost-effectively. Our program specifications required a supplier with demonstrated experience in providing a full range of building management services and solutions, with extensive and unbiased assessment capabilities, and a proven history of transitioning customers from a reactive building management approach to a long-term building management plan that incorporates preventive maintenance, targeted investments to improve energy efficiency, and reduced overall operating costs.
The City of Hudson, Ohio (“Hudson”), a Sourcing Alliance member, conducted an extensive procurement process for HVAC maintenance and building management. Hudson awarded the contract to Gardiner Service Company. Hudson and Sourcing Alliance joined forces to make Hudson’s contract award available to Sourcing Alliance members.
Why did the City of Hudson Conduct an RFP for HVAC Maintenance?
Hudson’s HVAC maintenance contract was about to expire. After working with the same service provider for 10 years, Hudson decided to conduct a comprehensive competitive procurement process to select the company best able to effectively and affordably meet Hudson’s HVAC management needs. Hudson sought a service provider to conduct a comprehensive audit of every city building, develop a long-term manufacturer and building system-agnostic city-wide maintenance and improvement plan the city could afford, implement the plan and provide ongoing service of the highest quality.
What was the Procurement Process that the City of Hudson Followed?
Hudson began by developing a set of exhaustive specifications based on their prior 10-year experience with a different HVAC service provider and conducted an intensive procurement process in accordance with public sector procurement guidelines. The specifications focused on providing preventative maintenance, quarterly maintenance, semi-annual maintenance, emergency maintenance and diagnostics for all of Hudson’s HVAC units throughout every city building. The criteria took into consideration the background and experience of respondents, the cost-effectiveness of the proposed solution, the respondent’s ability to readily provide a full range of equipment and parts as needed, and the respondent’s financial strength. Hudson also required that each respondent provide proof of knowledge and understanding of the latest HVAC equipment and controls, safety training documents, and proof of industry training/staff continuing education programs that were ANSI accredited and ISO (International Standards Association) certified.
Hudson received detailed proposals from seven top-rated service providers. Hudson evaluated each proposal and service provider against its RFP criteria and narrowed the seven service providers down to two finalists. Hudson conducted intensive interviews and facility walkthroughs with the finalists before ultimately awarding its HVAC Maintenance contract to Gardiner Service Company as the lowest and best provider.
Why did the City of Hudson select Gardiner as its service provider?
Hudson selected Gardiner as its HVAC service provider because of Gardiner’s demonstrated ability to deliver high quality, cost-effective HVAC and building solution services. Hudson determined that Gardiner not only met, but exceeded their RFP requirements. Gardiner:
- Provides industry expertise through its 211 associates and over 3,000 combined years of engineering experience solving building challenges for its clients. Gardiner’s history is one of high-quality service delivery, performance, and customer satisfaction.
- Offers a full line of HVAC equipment and supplies, professional services including maintenance and repair, intelligent services, water treatment, and a host of building solutions such as automation and controls, building analytics, and supply side energy management.
- Provides aggressive HVAC equipment discounts and pricing for services and solutions that is lower than the manufacturer’s published national cooperative pricing schedule.
- Utilizes a proven process for reducing downtime due to mechanical error. This process includes access to temporary chillers and generators, refresh and factory recertification programs, factory designed maintenance programs, predictive and diagnostic services, modernization and integration solutions, and 24/7 parts availability.
- Follows a strict and detailed process to manage customer accounts, from planning and initial implementation to regular equipment audits to ensure customer satisfaction and ongoing communication.
What Can You Do in Five Minutes?
If you are not already a member, you can join Sourcing Alliance in just minutes and immediately access our portfolio of programs. There are no dues, fees, or obligations.
Complete the membership form online at: www.sourcingalliance.org/join.
To fill out the membership form, you will need your organization’s EIN (Employer Identification Number).
If you have any questions, contact us at 844.289.6728 or email@example.com.